- Jesus abolished the physical laws of the Levites; he still requires holiness of heart and mind.
- Trusting in the saving work of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins guarantees your salvation.
Four differences between the work of Aaron, the OT high priest, and Christ, High Priest:
- Christ was pure, so he did not need to offer sacrifices for his own sins.
- Christ secured redemption, so there is no need to regularly repeat the sacrifices.
- Christ’s death allowed him to enter into the heavenly sanctuary, not merely the Holy of Holies.
- Christ used his own blood rather than the blood of animals.
So what must we do with this new status we now have in Christ?
- We must love one another.
- We must confess our sins to one another.
- We must pray for one another.
- We must exhort one another.
Further study and reflection questions:
Psalm 103:1-12; 1 Peter 2:5; Hebrews 10:10-13; Hebrews 10:24-25
- What does Leviticus 16 tell us regarding our preparation for the worship of God?
- How regularly do you confess your sins before God?
- How is Jesus present in Leviticus Chapter 16?
- How has God made His holiness available to humanity?
- What does the message of the Day of Atonement remind you of?